Put on latex gloves. Do the following in this order:
- Put pressure on the wound with cleanest material available (sterile gauze pads are best).
- If bleeding slows down but does not stop, apply more dressings on top.
- If bleeding still does not stop, elevate the limb.
- If bleeding still does not stop, apply a pressure dressing, tying the dressing down tightly but not enough to cut off the circulation. Keep the limb elevated.
- If bleeding still does not stop, put pressure on the brachial artery in the upper arm or the femoral artery in the groin. NEVER APPLY A TOURNIQUET.
If the wound is minor, after the bleeding has stopped, wash the area and apply an adhesive bandage or sterile dressing. Try not to touch any wound directly to avoid infection.